This classic salad, although containing simple ingredients, is a taste explosion in every mouthful!
Great for: gut health
Vegetarian, gluten free
Let’s Get Started
1 head Romaine Hearts
150g Cherry Tomatoes
120g Spring Onions (about 4 spring onions)
1 Red Bell Pepper (or sweet pointed pepper)
60g Artichoke Hearts
1 can of Tuna
50g Black Olives
For the dressing:
1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbs Water
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
50g Plain Greek Yogurt (optional)
- Separate the leaves from the lettuce. Trim the base of each leaf but keep them whole.
- Place the eggs into a large pan of boiling water and cook for 6 minutes for a slightly soft yolk, or for 8 minutes if you prefer a set yolk. Remove from the boiling water and quickly cool under running cold water to prevent the outside of the yolk from becoming black. Once cool, remove the shells and cut them into quarters, and lengthways.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters. Finely slice the spring onions and the celery and slice the pepper into very thin rounds. Cut each olive in half.
- Layer up the salad in the traditional way, starting with a bed of lettuce leaves. Follow this with layers of tomatoes, artichoke hearts, red sweet peppers, strips of tuna, chopped celery and spring onions. Finish with the boiled egg slices.
- Garnish with the anchovy ﬁllets and the black olives.
- To make the dressing simply combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk until emulsiﬁed. Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.
Artichokes are full of prebiotic ﬁbres. They aren’t always available fresh but can be found in jars preserved in oil, making them an easy way to add variety to your meals.
Substitutions: Swap artichokes for preserved aubergines, and tuna with cooked chicken.