This little cakes are simple to make and contain very little sugar. They can be added to a packed lunch or used for an afternoon or after dinner sweet treat.
Vegetarian, can be made gluten-free
Let’s Get Started
125g spelt, plain or gluten-free flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs brown sugar
50g sultanas or raisins
1 egg yolk
1 tbs milk
- Heat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
- Rub the butter into the flour or pulse in a food processor.
- Add the sugar, sultanas and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the beaten egg yolk and mix. Check the mixture with your hands – it needs to be moist enough to stick together but not too sticky. Add some milk if necessary.
- Form into 10-12 mini cakes and drop them onto a baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until firm and golden.
Store in the freezer so you aren’t too tempted!